The skin is the largest organ of the body. It is also the only one that is visible, and whatever we eat reflects on our skin. The age-old adage that “you are what you eat” holds infinitely true, and if you wish to exude a healthy, glowing skin, then it is best that you eat the foods that is right for it.
What then are the foods that are good for our skin? Most processed foods on supermarket shelves contain preservatives, a high salt content, and oil that dull and create skin problems. However, you can remedy this by making smart choices, and choosing foods that will benefit your skin best.
Here’s a good selection that you can follow to get that glowing skin you want:
- Fruits (and lots of it!) – Fruits contain essential vitamins and minerals, of which the most important is Vitamin C, which helps build tissues. Collagen (the stuff of which our skin is made of) formation, is highly influenced by the presence of Vitamin C, and an adequate supply of this vitamin stimulates the formation of collagen more, making the repair of damaged tissues frequent. In addition, a lack of this vitamin often results to scaly, dry, and cracked skin.
- Salmon – contrary to what popular media says, oil is necessary for healthy skin. Without oil, our skin becomes dry and dull. However, not all oils are good for us, and consuming them in moderate amounts in dishes as recommended is often the best advice. In salmon, essential fatty acids such as Omega 3 and 6 is present, which contribute not only to a healthy skin, but to a healthy heart as well.
- Water – the key to fresh looking skin is always staying hydrated. It is important to drink at least 8 glasses a day for healthy looking skin. Staying hydrated allows the body to effectively get rid of toxins that affect the appearance of our skin.
- Low fat dairy products – milk is good for you, not only for your bones, but also for your skin. Low-fat dairy products are good sources of Vitamin A, which help in the regeneration of your skin cells. In addition, it prevents that scaly appearance and gives a natural, youthful glow.
- Green tea – green tea has been the secret that Chinese women used for thousands of years to keep that beautiful skin they exude. As it acts as a natural cleanser and anti-oxidant, green tea prevents the formation of free-radicals that cause damage to our body and even cause certain cancers.
In addition to these foods, having a balanced diet, regular exercise, and good personal hygiene are often key to beautiful, glowing skin.